Ever since The Toy Peddler and hobbyDB became part of the same family a few years ago, we knew that eventually we would have to decide which marketplace “version” would be the best for everyone – hobbyDB or TTP. Well, the great news after tons of discussion with both the TTP community and those at hobbyDB, we have all sided with the Token (credit) System that TTP currently has. Great news for those of us at TTP, we stay the same, just get better!
The old credit system on TTP is staying the same, just the name for “credits” will change. Shortly, credits will be called “tokens”—as later we will be introducing “credits” (for buying things)— like we currently have on hobbyDB. We don’t want any confusion with the term “credits” down the road!
Today, hobbyDB announced on their blog that they will be moving forward with the TTP model. Starting on February 9th, hobbyDB will be removing themselves as the middleman in the transaction. What this means is that sellers will pay for Tokens (known as Credits on TTP) in advance to list items for sale and buyers will pay sellers direct, just like it is on TTP. With these changes in place, we’ll be able to begin the Toy Peddler Migration, which we hope to complete around April/May. The migration will allow us to make improvements to the site itself, introduce features that you’ve been asking for for years, and ensure the site remains secure for decades to come.
Best of all, the listing process will be the same as it always has been, but you’ll be able to take advantage of some of these new features including –
- One of the best things about using the hobbyDB system is that you can (but don’t have to) tie your TTP listings to different items in the vast HDB database. This will give your sales listing more exposure to worldwide collectors who use the catalog for researching and managing their collection. As mentioned above, this isn’t a new TTP requirement though, so if you want to list your items on TTP the same way you have been, you can! Your items will still show up in the marketplace like normal.
- New wish list functionality that proactively sends your listings to interested buyers via email and onsite notifications – helping you make even more sales
- A Facebook integration that allows you to easily post sales ads in as many groups as you’d like.
- A barcode scanner app to easily add inventory to your collection.
- Although you’ll still be able to accept checks and PayPal payments like normal, buyers will also be able to pay with PayPal Credit and Venmo, helping you get more customers.
To see more about why this benefits you, check out this post.
We’re excited to hear your feedback and hope that these changes will enable us to create an even better user experience for our collectors across the globe.
To learn more about how the Token system works on hobbyDB, check out our Token FAQ here.